New books in 2016:
Portland, one of the nation’s most walkable cities, is a pedestrian’s feast. A day’s walk can take you:
• down to Willamette River beaches
• up volcanic peaks via public stairs
• through gorgeous hillside neighborhoods with views of white-capped Cascade peaks
• into the firs of deeply wooded parks and cemeteries
• along the routes of old streetcars into districts humming with bookstores, cafes, restaurants and stores
I’ve written seven guidebooks about Portland and surrounding towns, and about the towns and trails of the nearby Columbia River Gorge, one of the nation’s few National Scenic Areas.
My books are for curious explorers—people who want to go beyond the usual tourist scene. They help you discover a city or region’s backstories: the geology, horticultural heritage, architecture and vestiges of times past.
My newer books also tell you where to go to eat, drink, play and stay, so you can find the local gems that give each place its own authentic vibe.